Internship Admin and Office Management Support – Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (Giz) Gmbh
- Company: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (Giz) Gmbh
- Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Job Type: Internship
- Job Category: Administrative/Secretarial
- Posted On: 31 Jul 2018
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned “Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit” (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development-policy objectives. GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes.
GIZ has been supporting the African Union (AU) on behalf of the German Federal Government since 2004. With around 20 supra-regional projects in line with the AU’s stated goals, the GIZ-AU portfolio is now active in 33 countries across the continent in Africa. The 170 employees of the GIZ-AU projects are based in the GIZ-AU main Office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and other locations, such as in Pretoria, South Africa. A central goal of the cooperation is to make the institutions of the AU more efficient and to support them in the implementation of their strategies and programs. Through cooperation with seven of the eight AU directorates, the portfolio of GIZ-AU is broadly based and has been continuously expanding since 2015. The focus is on the areas of peace and security, good governance and migration, regional economic integration, education / youth / employment, agriculture and land governance and on the overall strengthening of the management capacity of the AU Commission (AUC). At the same time, many of the GIZ programmes also adopt a multi-level approach, accompanying the implementation of continental agendas in the Regional Economic Communities (such as ECOWAS, SADC or EAC) and in the Member States of the African Union.
In this context, the Office of the GIZ-AU Director is offering an internship in Administration & Office Management for the duration of 6 months.
The internship will provide recent graduates exposure to development cooperation issues and first-hand experience of the day-to-day working environment of GIZ. The selected candidate will be involved in the daily work of the Director’s Office Team and will thus have an excellent opportunity to gain a broad overview of the current activities of all GIZ AU Programmes.
Position Internship Admin and Office Management support
Place of Work: Addis Ababa
Application deadline: August 15, 2018
Duration: 3-Month with possibility extension to 6-Month
Under the direct supervision of the Portfolio Manager and the Office Manager of the GIZ AU Office the intern will be primarily responsible for providing administrative support to the Director’s Office.
The incumbent has the following major responsibilities
· Supporting the GIZ-AU Director, the Programme Coordinator as well as the Office Manager in their day to day work
· Participating and note taking at internal meetings, including following up on associated tasks
· Research and analysis of political developments regarding the AU and its Member States
· Monitoring and documenting press coverage, in particular, keeping track of the internal and external press announcements and articles concerning the AU Portfolio
· Drafting letters, invitations and e-mails to high level officials
· Assisting with the preparation and conduct of GIZ-AU events (e.g. preparation of agenda, drafting invitations, booking facilities etc.)
· Assisting with the organisation of high level visits and delegations (e.g. organisation of airport and hotel pick-ups, booking hotels etc.)
· Supporting the management and storing of documents in the online Document Management System (DMS), updating the knowledge management overview
· Frequently updating the GIZ-AU portfolio presentation and other information material
· Creating and updating Excel Sheets as well as visualizing management data (e.g. number of employees, number of programmes) through charts, tables etc.
Required Entry Qualifications, Competences, and Experience
We are looking for an enthusiastic, creative, and open-minded team player with great interpersonal skills, ability to handle multiple tasks and work in intercultural environment. The candidate should be organised, structured and have a strong attention to detail. Technical requirements include:
· Enrolled in a Master programme or Bachelor / Master graduate in Communications, Journalism, International Relations, Political Science or a related field
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills
· Pro-active thinking
· Good knowledge of development policy issues, organisation and mandates of the AU, the work performed by GIZ and its position within the German and international structures of development cooperation and international cooperation
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs, especially in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
· Experience in media production, possibly including publishing or graphic design software such as Adobe InDesign or Adobe Photoshop is an advantage.
· Excellent knowledge / mother tongue English, Good knowledge of German or French is an advantage
How to ApplyInterested and qualified candidates shall submit their application letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via the following address:
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit,(GIZ) GmbH
P. O. Box 100009,
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia;
Fax: 011 554 0764
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted