Primary School Principal – SOS Children’s Villages
SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia is changing and growing! Come join our dynamic team of professionals today to make a difference in the lives of children throughout Ethiopia!
SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia is a national member association to the International Federation of SOS Children’s Villages. It is non- political, not-for-profit, and non-religious social development organization focused on the wellbeing and development of children. It was founded in 1974 and has been a development partner since then with positive outcomes in the lives of many children, families and communities.
The SOS Children’s Village Program Jimma, Hermann Gmeiner School is looking for a competent Primary School Principal who meets the requirements stated bellow.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of Hermann Gmeiner School Managing Principal, the position holder is generally responsible for planning, coordinating and directing the work and day-to-day activities of teaching professionals; preparing and controlling budgets; prioritizing expenditures; implementation of academic, social and emotional learning program. He or she is responsible for the effective operation and general administration of the primary schools. She or he will administer and supervise the school and its employees, lead development of educational program improvement, foster a culture of positive, engaged learners, and serve as a strong advocate for the school’s core values–including developmental philosophy and parental involvement. He or she serves as the member of the School Management Team and Instructional Leadership Team.
Key performance Area and main Responsibilities:
The successful candidates will have the following major responsibilities in the area of education program management, instructional leadership, operational management, Human resource management, Business Management and communications management.
- BA/BSc/MA/MSc degree or higher in Educational Planning and Management, Educational Leadership, Curriculum, Pedagogical Science, Educational Psychology, or related discipline;
- Additional training in human resource management, financial management and physical resource management
- Minimum of 3-year experiences for MA/MSc degree holders and 5-years for BA/BSc degree holders in school management positions.
- Experience of coaching and developing staff
- Experience working with a culturally and linguistically diverse community environment
- In order to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the position, the principal for primary school is required to have the following competencies.
3.1. Personal Competency: in order to succeed, the candidate must foster the culture of excellence through personal leadership and specifically he/she must:
- Hold a belief that all students can achieve at high level
- Hold self and others accountable for student learning
- Influence others to achieve results; and build strong relationship based on mutual respect, trust and empathy
- Communicate clearly and appropriately for the audience
- Demonstrate self-awareness and commitment to ongoing learning
- Demonstrate emotional fortitude and preservers in the face of obstacles
3.2. Instructional Leadership: The successful candidate must curriculum, instruction and assessment to improve student learning. More specifically, she/he
- Set high standards for the professional practice of instruction and assessments that result in high achievement and accountability for all learners.
- Is knowledgeable about curriculum and instruction as well as emerging education practices
- Constantly refreshes this knowledge through ongoing professional development
- Develops, implements and evaluates curricular and co-curricular program to accelerate learning for students in the primary school
- Commitment to classroom teaching by setting clear expectations and observing, coaching and evaluating teachers and staff
- Ability and willingness to support teachers in using effective instructional strategies to meet students’ divers learning needs
- Commitment to assess student learning and ensures the provision of specific and timely feedback to teachers and students
- Ability to align standards, curricula, instructional strategies and assessment tools
3.3. Resource Management
- Proactively promotes the success of all students by ensuring management of the organization; operations and resources for a safe, efficient and effective learning environment
- Ensure that the school is professional learning community by establishing and maintaining processes and systems that results in recruitment, induction, support, evaluation, development, retention of high performing staff
- Engages in best professional practices targeted at students achievements and deploys budgets schedules, staff and other resources to secure best results for all students
- Develop and implement system and process to insure effective operations that support student learning
- Manages time in relation to student learning priorities
- Designs structures and processes that result in community engagements, support and ownership
- Proactively creates opportunities for parents/guardians, community, member and business representative to be involved in and show support for the schools
3.4. Interpersonal competency:
- Communicate clearly, appropriately and effectively to different audience and individuals
- Actively listens and seeks to clarify information and intent of others communicator in in the school environment
- Demonstrate ability to understand and analyze data from multiple source
- Uses data to identify student learning trends, set goals, monitor, modify instruction and improve student achievement
- Develops school culture and practices that rely on data to inform professional development and decision making
- Understands the school community within the social and cultural context of the broader community
3.5. Ethical and Professional Leadership: to be successful, candidate must demonstrate:
- Collaborative behavior with the school staff and community member to create the positive context for learning by fulfilling professional responsibilities with honest and integrity and serving as a model for the professional behavior of others;
- Knowledgeable about and acts in accordance with regional and federal statutes sas well as with school policy;
- Passes decisions and takes actions, which are consistently target to the well-being of the students and school community, and demonstrates high standards of professional practice and behavior.
How to ApplyApplications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration.
N.B: Please make sure you select the program location you want to apply