Programme Officer – Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (Giz) Gmbh
- Company: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (Giz) Gmbh
- Location: SNNPR, Ethiopia
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Job Category: Engineering
- Posted On: 31 Jul 2018
As a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and international education work, GIZ – Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit – is dedicated to building a future worth living around the world.
We have over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including rural and economic development, education and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security. Together with our partners, we work to deliver flexible, effective and cost-effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions. Of our 18,260 employees in some 120 countries, almost 70 per cent are national personnel working in the field. As a public-benefit German federal enterprise, we are committed to meeting our clients’ high standards with regard to transparency and accountability. German and European values are central to our work. The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) is our main commissioning party. European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and national governments benefit from our services, too.
In Ethiopia GIZ has been implementing development programmes on behalf of the German government for over 40 years jointly with our national partners. The focus of our work in the country is on vocational education, sustainable use of natural resources, land management and food security, biodiversity and forestry. Further programmes enhance the development of a sustainable textile sector and renewable energies.
GIZ’s Sustainable Textiles in Ethiopia Program (eTex) is planning to implement a Public-Private-Partnership (develoPPP) in Mekelle together with our two company project partners, one international textile and apparel producer and one international, multi-billion-dollar retailer. The project’s idea is to create a Center of Excellence (CoE) in Mekelle, which trains individuals pursuing a career in the textile sector. Individuals will be trained for the mid-level management of a textile factory, while sensitizing them at the same time to sustainability issues such as environmental concerns, human and labor rights. The partnership is aimed at pursuing GIZ’s and the company partners’ aligned interests (i.e. formation and education of individuals) and is planned to make a significant contribution to long-term job opportunities, knowledge transmission, professionalism and knowledge sharing between stakeholders in the Ethiopian Textile Sector. The training program will be planned and implemented in collaboration with local partners, such as UNIDO, the industrial park, University of Mekelle (UoM) and other partners from the education and textile sector. All stakeholders of the project will be organized in the Textile & Apparel Training Committee. GIZ is looking for an Expert capable of coordinating, organizing, and implementing the training program in close collaboration with all our partners.
Job Title: Programme Officer
Remuneration: As per the GIZ scale
Application deadline: August 7, 2018
Place of Work: Mekelle, frequent travel to Addis Ababa
A. Major Responsibilities
The expert will generally execute the following tasks:
· Coordinate the relationship with the project partners (partner companies)
· Steer the implementation in Mekelle
· Support Consultants in developing the curricula and executing the trainings
· Support the management of the CoE
· Develop a network with local partners: UoM, UNIDO, factories, IP, educational institutions and other stakeholders
· Initiate and manage the Textile & Apparel Training Committee on a regular basis
· Monitoring & Evaluation: collect and analyze data, write reports
· Communication with GIZ HQ and the eTex Program in Addis Ababa
A. Experience & Required Qualifications
· Higher Degree in Education and/or Textile engineering, or another relevant field
· Fluency in reading, writing and speaking English and high proficiency in Tigrinya. Good knowledge of Amharic is a plus.
· Computer literacy and good working knowledge of MS Office
· at least 5 years of professional experience in the textile sector related to multi-stakeholder engagement, organization and implementation of trainings to various stakeholders, partners, and private sector operators, preferably in Mekelle
· Knowledge of the Ethiopian Textile Sector, its relevant institutions, experts, companies and other actors
· Knowledge of the Ethiopian Educational Sector its relevant institutions, experts, companies and other actors is a plus
· High degree of initiative, efficiency, team-working, integrity and accountability
· Ability to work independently, reliantly and responsibly
· High awareness of sustainability issues in the textile sector
· Entrepreneurial attitude with the ability to see opportunities for the project
· willingness to improve skills as required by the tasks to be performed and outcome-oriented attitude
How to ApplyInterested and qualified candidates shall submit their application letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via :
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
P. O. Box 100009, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
or Fax: 011 554 0764
The name of the position for which the application is made should be clearly marked on the envelope or on the fax applications. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.