Senior Financial Accountant – Save The Children
Save the Children is an exciting and dynamic organization that follows a holistic approach to achieve more for children and use its resources in an efficient and sustainable way. In every programming we aim to achieve results at scale, build partnership to influence others and increase our impact; look for innovate solutions to the problems children faces, campaign for better practice and ensure that Children’s voices are heard.
Save the Children is an organization for talented people with different backgrounds and perspectives. We are proud that our people are representative of the children we work with and we thrive on our diversity. We are an equal opportunity organization dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. Our culture is embedded in these values, along with a strong commitment to our Child Safeguarding Protocol, ensuring that all representatives of Save the Children demonstrate the highest standards of behavior towards children both in their private and professional lives.
Save the Children offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development. If you are interested to work in an organization that is determined to achieve dramatic change for the most vulnerable children, we encourage you to look through the job profile below.
Senior Financial Accountant
Place of Work
Monthly Salary in ETB
As per the organization scale
No. of Positions
The Senior Financial Accountant has overall responsibility of controlling all financial aspects of the field Office and is expected to deliver complete and accurate financial information to FOM and Senior finance coordinator of Southwest hub as appropriate for decision-making process. S/he provides overall Close assistance to campus, field offices and project staff regarding management of financial, budgetary and internal Controls are in Place.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Gambella Field Office Manager and in dotted line to Senior Finance coordinator Southwest Hub
Staff directly reporting to this post: Assistant financial accountants
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
· Proposes ideas for updating financial and administrative procedures, guidelines and systems within the SCI and donor guideline and requirements.
· Orients finance and non-finance staffs with Save the Children financial systems policy, procedures including partners.
· Proposes on effective working modality which support good internal control
· Supports assistant financial accountants including partners on their internal control systems and efficient way of working
Budgeting and Budget management
· Assists FOM, Project Managers and Regional Coordinators with the preparation of budgets for funding applications and monitoring and revision of the project budgets; including phased budget preparation with appropriate codes
· In collaboration with the Program/project staff, ensures that project budgets are administered in accordance with the terms and conditions of the agreement, per approved phased budget and donor policies;
· Makes a follow-up on budget utilization / revision and project expenditure.
· Supports FOM and Program managers for preparation of cost proposals/budgets.
· Coordinate budget realignments, cost and no-cost extension requests going to SC in a timely manner.
· Ensure regular monitoring of partners is done for quality and efficient finance procedures with sub granted
· When deemed necessary communicate directly with budget holders or Finance Directors/Award Managers as necessary, on matters directly pertaining to contract and sub-award management ensuring SC is kept informed.
· Ensure the system for programme-wide income and debt tracking is working and lead in chasing income from donors in liaison with Finance and ensure SC is informed of any receipts promptly.
Financial Accounting and Reporting
· Ensures maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures on Petty cash payments and Checks payment vouchers
· Ensures that all financial reporting obligations are met those principles, procedures and guidelines placed by SCI, Ethiopian law, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Donors;
· Reviews financial reports from all grants in the Area and partners and ensure the data is entered to the financial system;
· Performs regular follow-up of fund balance and facilitate budget transfer to the Area and all offices on monthly basis;
· Prepares regular financial reports to the FOM, PMs and SCI Ethiopia Finance team;
· Prepares annual financial report as per the required standard; Coordinate the Award Team to ensure accurate and quality progress and financial reports are submitted to SC in a timely manner.
· Ensure all requests for information from SC are responded to in a timely and complete manner.
· Ensures that all financial quarter/annual reports are submitted to partners on time
· Provides accounting support to the Area staffs and partners
· Provides regular capacity support on financial management;
· Conducts quarterly monitoring to project sites;
· Facilitates and support project audit.
· Follow up on implementation of key audit recommendations.
Award Essential standards
· Ensure SCI essential standard for finance and grants is fully implemented
· Award management systems (including schemes of delegation and systematic record keeping, etc) are in place for all awards, and comply with the award management Standard Operating Procedures.
· All terms of the award/Fund Summary (including donor requirements, reporting formats, timing and supporting documentation) are complied with as outlined in the Fund Summary.
· Ensures that quarter monitoring of finance and awards essential standards using standard checklist
· Ensure monthly BvA reports are shared with Budget Holders.
TIM and GIK recording and reporting
· Review TIM VS agresso transactions and made surprise stock count
· Made TIM VS agresso reconciliations.
· Ensure efficient management of GIK in accordance with donor and SCI guidelines for GIK exists in the Area and field offices
· Ensure that up to date GIK schedule detailing items received and distributed with their value is maintained for all SC grants
· Ensure that a quarterly reconciliation of stock records (receipts, distributions, on hand) to GiK schedule and accounting records, with differences investigated.
· Ensure that any losses of GiK are fully documented and written off only is appropriately authorised.
· Provide close supervision and guidance for assistant financial accountants,
· Ensures annual performance objectives and core competencies for direct reporters.
· Ensure they have work plans and clear objectives, that they receive regular reviews.
· Follow timely the status of ER & approved monthly likewise provide technical support for others
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Academic Qualification- Bachelor Degree from recognized University in Business Management, Accounting, Finance
· Work Experience 6 years, out of which 2 years’ experience directly related to Grant or finance management and award management or programme management.
· Knowledge of and familiarity with USAID, US Government, UN, DFID, EU, NORAD, and SC member’s rules and regulations
· Computer literate, particularly skilled in Agresso (preferred)
· Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
· Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
· Fluency in English, both verbal and written, preferred
· Commitment to Save the Children values
· Knowledge of local laws of the country
· Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
How to ApplyInterested applicants who meet the MINIMUM requirements should send the following through Ethiopia.email@example.com on or before August 10,2018
A CV (not more than 3 pages)
A cover letter (not more than one page)
A one-page table summarizing your educational background, work experience, technical skills and competencies to facilitate the screening process. Refer the vacancy announcement while doing this.
Please DO NOT SUBMIT copies of transcripts, academic degrees or recommendation letters with the application. You will provide them upon request.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU STATE THE CODE OF THE VACANCY ON THE SUBJECT OF YOUR EMAIL.
Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children. We undertake rigorous procedures during the recruitment process including background checks to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organisation and all candidates will therefore be subject to this scrutiny.
In the selection of its staff, Save the Children is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities.
Note: All travel costs should be covered by the applicant if invited for written exam or interview.